Re: [SLUG] Slow SAMBA or what?

From: Chuck Hast (kp4djt@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 22:20:24 EDT

On Thursday 09 May 2002 10:01 L, you wrote:

> One of the things to check for on a poorly performing Ethernet connection
> is a duplex mismatch, especially with Windows involved. The drivers
> commonly autonegotiate a full-duplex link but really only run at
> half-duplex. That WILL tank the performance. You say it is 100baseT, not
> 100baseTX (switched). Maybe try forcing the Windows NIC to half-duplex.
> If your network gear is sufficiently sophisticated to be able to show
> errors on the ports check to see if your getting collisions on a
> full-duplex link or some other wierdness.

I am running this through a LinkSys 5 port Cable/DSL router. It is supposed
to operate as a switch so I guess it would be 100baseTX vs 100baseT

And indeed as others have reported I too am using Win2k machines to talk
to the SAMBA machine.

I will look and see how to force the drivers to go to the other state, any
ideas?

--
Chuck Hast
KP4DJT