Re: [SLUG] Slow SAMBA or what?

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 08:32:48 EDT

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Chuck Hast wrote:

> On Thursday 09 May 2002 10:01 L, you wrote:
>
> > One of the things to check for on a poorly performing Ethernet connection
> > is a duplex mismatch, especially with Windows involved. The drivers
> > commonly autonegotiate a full-duplex link but really only run at
> > half-duplex. That WILL tank the performance. You say it is 100baseT, not
> > 100baseTX (switched). Maybe try forcing the Windows NIC to half-duplex.
> > If your network gear is sufficiently sophisticated to be able to show
> > errors on the ports check to see if your getting collisions on a
> > full-duplex link or some other wierdness.
>
> I am running this through a LinkSys 5 port Cable/DSL router. It is supposed
> to operate as a switch so I guess it would be 100baseTX vs 100baseT
>
> And indeed as others have reported I too am using Win2k machines to talk
> to the SAMBA machine.
>
> I will look and see how to force the drivers to go to the other state, any
> ideas?

Uhoh. Windows config advice on this list. I knew I was in a trap. :)

There's this config file I can send you... well... I guess there's not.

Hit the My Computer icon on the desktop with the wrong mouse button and
hit manage in the popup menu with the other mouse button. Go to device
manager. Go to the NIC. Get in its properties. Smack its advanced tab.
There's a list. Pick something like link speed, and in the dropdown to
the right something like half-duplex. Kinda depends on who made your NIC
and who wrote its driver, but you could always check the comments in the
source code. Um... maybe not. If you have a non-brain-damaged driver it
might already be half-duplex.

I don't have one of those little LinkSys boxen, but I had a couple brief
chances to work with them, and I was impressed. Even if it isn't bright
enough to tell you errors on a port I think it will probably let you set
speed and duplex on a port. Make it match the NIC, 100 half. If you
can't set it, yank the cable, count to 10, and put it back in to make it
autonegotiate again to your newly half-duplex NIC. I think there's
something in its web interface that will at least let you see what it
autonegotiated. You could also try forcing both ends of the cable to 100
full to go fast just in case you've got a better driver than I've seen in
most Winows. But if full goes slower, put it back to half.

HTH,
Greg