Re: [SLUG] Suse Linux 8.0 installation issue - Help!

From: William Calderwood (k1ct@oasis.net)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 01:43:12 EDT

Paul et all -

    I'm feeling like a Linux stud tonight!... got the Suse to install on the
Acer Aspire! The trick was probably related to a not quite right CD driver
mentioned in response to my query. I threw out the idea of installing from a
bootable CD-ROM and on a second computer I made a set of boot floppies.

    I slapped the floppies and watched the linux kernel decompress without
CRC error (even though that file came from the very same CD that was giving
me problems when I tried to boot from it). . . and now I'm on my way to the
hour and 45 minutes of installing Suse 8.0. BTW Suse, like Mandrake
automatically recognized the entire 20 GB hard drive overcoming the 8 GB BIOS
limitation and formatted the whole thing (less the 500 MB DOS partition [I
hope!]). I also like the fact that Suse will install on a system with a
640X480 resolution monitor... that way I can interact on my real machine and
experiment on the Acer.

    Oh Joy!!!

                                                w/r Bill