Re: [SLUG] Suse Linux 8.0 installation issue - Help!

From: William Calderwood (k1ct@oasis.net)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 15:08:12 EDT

Paul & all who helped -

   Thanks very much for the suggestions. I've been engaging the Suse help
line both telephone and by e-mail... we have not really come up with an
answer yet. Its possible its two cases of bad CD-ROM media, or perhaps more
likely that there is just a hardware compatibllity issue with Suse in which
case I'm doomed from getting it going on the Acer. I'll let the list know if
anything new develops.

   FYI, I had a chance to try out some additional distributions to further
test the Acer. The following are my results:

     RH7.2 OK
     eSmith (RH7.1) OK
     Corel Linux second ed. OK
     Mandrake 8.2 OK
     Caldera OpenLinux 2.4 Crash (immediate)
     Suse 8.0 Crash (at end of kernel decompression)
     Open BSD Booted from floppy but couldn't talk to the CD-ROM
     FreeBSD 4.4 OK
     Pico BSD OK
     Small Linux OK
     Win 3.1 OK
     Win 95 OK

   This experiment has been most instructive. Here's what I saw:

   I found Mandrake 8.2 to be an unexpected pleasure to install and use -
this was my first exposure to Mandrake. It was the only distribution that
was able to overcome my computer BIOS limitation and access the full 20 GB of
hard drive space vice only the 8 GB supported by the BIOS. Unfortunately
Mandrake seems to require a video monitor with more than 640x480 resolution.
- even to just accomplish the installation.

   Corel Linux second edition was admittedly an older distribution. It was
like taking a flashback to the RH5.2 days. Manual partitioning was
required.... not hard, certainly not as challenging as BSD partitioning (but
even that gets easy once youve done it a few times). The Netscape in this
distribtution kept crashing. Corel had problems with 64x480 resolution
during installation...required manual Xserver configuration.

   Red Hat 7.2 is what I've been using since I got back into Linux. I might
be tempted to switch to Mandrake if they bring out a KDE 3.0 distro sooner
rather than later...

                                                w/r Bill