RE: [SLUG] Dual boot?????

From: Seth Hollen (seth@hollen.org)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 10:14:47 EDT

I know during install you should choose to install the boot loader to
the MBR of HAD.

For grub try here
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

this is stolen from the gentoo website"

--------------begin cut---------------------------------------

Final steps: configure GRUB

The most critical part of understanding GRUB is getting comfortable with
how GRUB refers to hard drives and partitions. Your Linux partition
/dev/hda1 is called (hd0,0) under GRUB. Notice the parenthesis around
the hd0,0 - they are required. Hard drives count from zero rather than
"a", and partitions start at zero rather than one. So, /dev/hdb3 gets
translated to (hd1,2), and /dev/hdd7 gets translated to (hd3,6). After
you've gotten the feel for that, convert your boot and root partition
names to the GRUB format and write them down. Now, it's time to install
GRUB.

The easiest way to install grub is to simply type grub at your chrooted
shell prompt:

# grub

You'll be presented with the grub> grub command-line prompt. Now, you
need to type in the right commands to install the GRUB boot record onto
your hard drive. In my example configuration, I want to install the GRUB
boot record on my hard drive's MBR (master boot record), so that the
first thing I see when I turn on the computer is the GRUB prompt. In my
case, the commands I want to type are:

Code listing 39

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

Here's how the two commands work. The first root ( ) command tells GRUB
the location of your boot partition (in our example, /dev/hda1 or
(hd0,0) in GRUB terminology. Then, the second setup ( ) command tells
GRUB where to install the boot record - it will be configure to look for
its special files at the root ( ) location that you specified. In my
case, I want the boot record on the MBR of the hard drive, so I simply
specify /dev/hda (also known as (hd0)). If I were using another boot
loader and wanted to set up GRUB as a secondary boot-loader, I could
install GRUB to the boot record of a particular partition. In that case,
I'd specify a particular partition rather than the entire disk. Once the
GRUB boot record has been successfully installed, you can type quit to
quit GRUB. Gentoo Linux is installed, but we need to create the
/boot/grub/menu.lst file so that we get a nice GRUB boot menu when the
system reboots. Here's how to do it.

Now, create the menu.lst file (nano -w /boot/grub/menu.lst), and add the
following to it:

Code listing 40

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=My example Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda3

# Below needed only for people who dual-boot
title=Windows NT Workstation
root (hd0,5)
chainloader +1

Note: The menu.lst file should end in "lst" as in "list", not "1st" as
in "first". Also, (hd0,0) should be written without any spaces inside
the parentheses.

After saving this file, Gentoo Linux installation is complete. Selecting
the first option will tell GRUB to boot Gentoo Linux without a fuss. The
second part of the menu.lst file is optional, and shows you how to use
GRUB to boot a bootable Windows partition.

Note: Above, (hd0,0) should point to your "boot" partition (/dev/hda1 in
our example config) and /dev/hda3 should point to your root filesystem.
(hd0,5) contains the NT boot loader.

Also, if you need to pass any options to the kernel, simply add them to
the end of the kernel command. We're already passing one option
(root=/dev/hda3), but you can pass others as well. In particular, you
can turn off devfs by default (not recommended unless you know what
you're doing) by adding the gentoo=nodevfs option to the kernel command.

Note: Unlike in earlier versions of Gentoo Linux, you no longer have to
add devfs=mount to the end of the kernel line to enable devfs. In rc6
devfs is enabled by default.

I know this is how I installed grub on mine. YMMV

Anyone else have a better link on installing a boot loader after the OS
is there?

Take care,
Seth Hollen
seth@hollen.org