Re: [SLUG] MTA dumping mail to another machine

From: Ken Billings (ken@coffeehouseltd.com)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 10:02:02 EDT

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 23:32, Paul M Foster wrote:
> Without considering IMAP, am I right that email sucked in by fetchmail
> and given to an MTA (like Exim, Sendmail, Postfix) will dump on the
> machine that it's running on, and will _not_ dump to another machine on
> the LAN? In other words, given fetchmail and an MTA, it's not possible
> to dump inbound mail into a /var/spool/mail on a different machine,
> right?
>
> Paul

I'm not very familiar with advanced fetchmail features, but with most
MTAs it's fairly easy to configure the MTA on box A to relay all or just
certain pieces of mail to an MTA on box B. I'm curious though - Why
wouldn't you just run fetchmail on box B to begin with?
As far as a strictly fetchmail solution goes, the MDA= option in the
.fetchmailrc allows you to pass off the mail to a program or script that
could do pretty much whatever you want. Out of the box, though? I
don't know...

-Ken