Re: [SLUG] Home Business Idea

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan.heffernan@shawus.com)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 08:09:14 EDT

> I would probably try and handle the Hillsborough area at first, then
> consider expanding to Pinellas, and maybe Pasco, to try handling the
> entire Tampa Bay area.
> Any thoughts about needed equipment, costs, etc.? I'd probably want
> the best batteries, too, maybe nickel-metal-hydride?
>
> Frank Starr

If these guys are willing (but unhappy) to wait for FEDEX, then they can wait
2 hours. You can scan things as they are requested, and every two hours you
can rush out to Kinkos, your house, wherever. You can upload a couple of
dozen documents, ideally over a broadband connection. I would skip the
hassle and expense of wireless if possible.

If there is no broadband available close-by, then you could even look at
going satellite for about $60 per month. Every morning, pull your SUV into
the parking lot and unlimber your DirecTV dish and spend 10 minutes finding
the satellite. The first time might take 2 hours, but I bet that if you do
this every morning you will get proficient at it.

In fact, if you have a dish right in the parking lot, you might have enough
signal strength to do 802.11 wireless from your laptop to your uplink in the
parking lot. If the building is interfering, you could put a powerful
'sectoral' antenna in your vehicle; this gives you a 120-degree arc (much
better reception than the standard omnidirectional antenna) . You could test
this short-haul connection with a minimal outlay of cash (you don't need the
dish). You might even be able to borrow some equipment (two 802.11-enabled
laptops) to test this.

In fact, you can branch-out from there and re-sell your wireless Internet
connection to all of the lawyers in the Courthouse who use laptops (check
your DirecTV contract for info about re-selling bandwidth).

--ronan