Re: [SLUG] SuSE 8.0

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 00:25:35 EDT

On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 11:51:04PM -0400, Smitty wrote:

> YAST and YAST2 are not licensed under the GPL, rather they have a particular
> SuSE license and the source code is available. I could not find any data on
> it in the documentation. Perhaps the license is in a directory on their
> website.

Last I checked (SuSE 6.3?), the YaST license allowed for modifications
to be made to the code, but not their redistribution. I talked to the
guy from SuSE at the last CTS show about this, and he explained that
YaST was one of their ways of differentiating their distro. And that
Open Source was nice and all, but business was business (that's a
paraphrase, folks, not a direct quote).

Paul