Re: [SLUG] Verizon/GTE DSL

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 10:57:04 EDT

On Sun, 2002-05-12 at 20:49, bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> Sorry to burst the bubble there Time Warner Cable only gives regular
> resident service between 468 to 512 k down average and 256k up.
> 2 megs is Bussiness Class now. So it is not that big of a deal any more.
> Yeah sure if you live out in the woods and are the only one with
> cable it is ok but once you get 2 to 3 people in your neighbor hood it is
> nothing better then DSL speeds or less.

I get consistent 350KBps+ (that's ~3Mbit+) download speeds from iBiblio
on a 24/7 basis, both at work and at home. Honestly, download speed is
*never* a problem for me - it is *always* the upload cap that drives me
nuts.

> TW Road Runner Bussiness class for $410.00 a month will only get you 4mb
> down and 1.5 mb up.
> Rapid System DSL 7 mb down 2.5 up $149.00.

Yeah, I'd like Rapidsys' Megazilla at home.. but $149.00 is a far cry
from that $40.00 a month I pay for RR residential class (with a
"borrowed" RR business class static IP - sniff your local segment
sometime). Still, for the quality of Rapidsys' news server alone now -
it's worth my money

>From what I gather, there is both a Time Warner business class and a
Road Runner business class. The former uses Cisco equipment and is a
truely better class of access - RoadRunner has NOTHING to do with this
type of business connection, it seems. The latter uses typical cable
modems (the same ones you use for your residential service), and
potentially offers various levels of upload uncapping (quality of
service is moot, as this is a RoadRunner managed service).

> 2mb down and 1mb up was around $69.00 month versus the 512k down and Road
> Runner actually only promisses 200k of that and 256k up for $49.00. I would
> say if you can get DSL and Cable check the rates! Where I am at Road Runner
> $uks.

Sorry to hear it. The upload cap is what really kills me. I'm honestly
considering Megazilla DSL from RapidSys as another net feed, but it all
really depends.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>