Re: [SLUG] can I use Linux to compile for windows?

From: Ed Centanni (ecentan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 00:23:07 EDT

In a sense -- yes. Download and install cygwin. http://cygwin.com/ It
will give you a very good Linux compatible development environment (gcc,
make, automake, autoconf, vi, emacs, bash, ls, chmod -- an much more!)
that are all windows executables that produce native windows
executables. Most shell scripts, makefiles, and C/C++ source will port
with little or no changes. Creating a windows executable from a
GNU-Style "configure; make; make install" tarball amazes me. Mostly
useful for command line, non-gui programs -- BUT WAIT... if you call now
there's http://cygwin.com/xfree/ Haven't tried it myself but there's hope!

Having bash capability when you have to do(-in) windows is such a stress
relief!! (he says with an evil grin!)

Another alternative is to download a free DOS compiler and run it in
dosemu under linux. http://www.htsoft.com/products/pacific.html works
well under dosemu. It's actually MUCH faster running under dosemu and
Linux than running natively under Win2k. The elderly Borland Turbo C is
also available for free.

Good Luck!
Ed (having revealed that he knows more about ms windows than he wants to
admit) Centanni