[SLUG] Re: ftp problem

From: Ken Billings (lists@coffeehouseltd.com)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 13:18:12 EDT

R P Herrold writes:

> On Wed, 15 May 2002, Ken Billings wrote:
>
>> Ok, I guess I'm a little confused then. Why would you suspect the win2k box
>> has anything to do with this problem? It's not in the connection path, and
>
> This is of course not a venue to critique MS design decisions
> -- they tend to default to two port FTP, rather then the more
> modern firewall-friendly 'passive' single port mode which is
> compatible out of the box with all RFC compliant FTP servers.
>
> There is a option in Control | Internet | Advances | advanced
> options tab | for passive FTP, although they call it something
> like 'some firewall require this'

I do have to note that this option is only valid for Internet Explorer's FTP
client function, and has nothing to do with the regular command line FTP
client. Also, it seems to be strangely absent from the options on the
NT4/IE5.0 box I'm sitting at right now. Maybe it's an IE version specific
option? Odd...

> A Windows reboot is necessary.

:) Frequently, yes, but not in this case, AFAIK. Win2k got rid of a lot of
the required reboots throughout the OS. Granted, they still have a long way
to go... ;)

 -Ken