Re: [SLUG] configuring apache rendering file list in a directory.

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 14:34:32 EDT

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 13:00, Patrick (at work) wrote:
> I was getting a 404
> The error log:
> File does not exist: /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/home/shared/common
>
> I created a symbolic link in
> /usr/local/httpd/htdocs called
> common

To where? /home/shared/common or
/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/home/shared/common ?

> Now I am getting a 403 - forbidden
> Symbolic link not allowed: /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/common

Add this to your access.conf or httpd.conf:

<Directory /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/common>
Options Indexes
 order allow,deny
 allow from all
</Directory>

> I am trying to create (in M$ lingo) a virtual directory
> under
> /usr/local/httpd/htdocs that points to
> /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/home/shared/common

Is /usr/local/httpd/htdocs the DocumentRoot? -- configured in httpd.conf
or srm.conf.

> so that
> a browser pointed to http://www.myserver.com/common

Does "common" reside directly under your DocumentRoot? If
/usr/local/httpd/htdocs is your DocumentRoot then the answer would be
yes. If not, you could add a virtual host to your apache config (similar
to the following):

<VirtualHost x.x.x.x>
DocumentRoot /usr/local/httpd/htdocs
ServerName www.myserver.com
<Directory /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/common>
Options Indexes
 order allow,deny
 allow from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Or you could just make the symlink directly under your default
DocumentRoot and change the <Directory...> to reflect the new symlink.

> will list the files in
> /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/common
> When any changes are made to I have to stop and restart Apache? Or are the
> conf files parsed with each access?

Yes. Restart apache when you make changes to the conf files.

--
Matt Miller
Systems Administrator