Re: [SLUG] Old Inkjet Rollers

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 07:22:17 EDT

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Paul M Foster wrote:

> I've got an old inkjet that's not picking up sheets out of the feeder
> the way it should. If you look in there, you can see the rubber rollers
> are getting old and can see the beginnings of little cracks. Anyone know
> of anything you can put on rollers to restore them a little or make them
> more tacky?

I have used 'platten cleaner' -- designed for typewriters --
profitabley thus; alcohol is not good, for it draws the
remaining life out of rubber. I had to ask at a (now defunct)
typewriter repair shop to order a botle in.

In speaking with a HP sales person a few years ago, he
indicated that the low end desk jets had a design life of a
yuear and a half. if it is a really old one, you may be SOL in
ovtaining a replacement pickup roller, but it may be worth an
email to the folks at their online store (linked off
www.hp.com )

-- Russ Herrold