Re: [SLUG] DNS Server (WAS: More Odd Firewall Problems)

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 11:56:34 EDT

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 08:39, Jason Copenhaver wrote:
> are you sure it is your whole connection? I was having issues with RR for
> awhile where the DNS server would go down.. so I couldn't go to any
> websites by name.. but the IP addresses worked fine..
>
> Jason

Jason,
I know you weren't asking for advice, but maybe you haven't already
thought of this...
You could always setup bind on your Linux box. You could setup localhost
to be your first resolver in your /etc/resolv.conf, then the RR servers.
That way if RR's DNS servers were to go down, you might not be able to
pop your mail or access any server in the tampabay.rr.com suffix, but
you would still be able to resolve hostnames on the outside world.

--
Matt Miller
Systems Administrator