Re: [SLUG] staroffice

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan.heffernan@shawus.com)
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 09:22:38 EDT

William R Coulter wrote:

> Where can I get a free copy of staroffice? I understand that 6.0 is
> available but I don't want to pay for it. Is there a free version of
> staroffice?
>
> Here is my problem. I am looking for a program that I can replace MS office
> with on the Linux. I am in the process of switching from a windows machine
> to a full and true Linux machine. I am tired of Microsoft crap. If I had a
> 20gig+ harddrive I would duel boot the system but I don't have the money for
> a new harddrive.
>
> William

StarOffice 5.2 is free (for Linux, Windows, and Solaris). Most of the Linux 6.x
and 7.x distros came with StarOffice 5.2 for Linux. OpenOffice is free and
OpenSource (see www.openoffice.org). OpenOffice just had their v1.0 release
(which is supposed to be a good thing for a software package).

I have used the StarOffice 5.2 word processor rather extensively to make
technical documentation for my software. It is an excellent tool. I never use
spreadsheets or presentation software, so I can't say how good they are. The
draw app seems to be a nice scaled-down CorelDRAW-ish bezier curve drawing
program, and toss-in the connector technology of Visio or Dia. I tried using
the built-in database, and it sucks royally. Avoid using their database tool at
all costs (in v5.2, I don't know if things have gotten better since).

--ronan