Re: [SLUG] Mouse Problem in USB on SuSE

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 09:15:39 EDT

On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 23:00, doc wrote:
> Anyone experience a mouse problem w/SuSE 8.0?
>
> I am loading it on a SIS530-based board, Tekram I think, that uses
> a rear panel connector for IR, Mouse, and the two USB ports.
>
> Everything else seems fine but during and after installation it would
> not recognize the standard ps/2 mouse (I could only complete the
> installation if I allowed it to not try to configure the mouse --
> otherwise it got jammed up).
>
> I will try a different mouse ... just in case ... but am pretty certain
> this mouse works fine ... it had been working previously when I
> was messing around with Mandrake and Debian.
>
> Helpful thoughts, please?

I would start by looking for something like the following in dmesg or
your kernel logs:

    May 16 14:12:48 linux kernel: mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all
    mice

If the mouse is loading in the kernel, you could try to cat (as root)
the ps/2 device file, then move your mouse around and press your mouse
buttons:

    # cat /dev/psaux

You should see some miscellaneous characters appear on the screen.
Ctrl+C to return to the shell prompt. If no characters appear, there may
be a problem with the mouse.

--
Matt Miller
Systems Administrator