Re: [SLUG] Mouse Problem in USB on SuSE

From: Justin Keyes (m9u35@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 13:43:27 EDT

--- Matt Miller <mmiller1@mptotalcare.com> wrote:
> If the mouse is loading in the kernel, you could try to cat (as root)
> the ps/2 device file, then move your mouse around and press your
> mouse
> buttons:
>
> # cat /dev/psaux
>
> You should see some miscellaneous characters appear on the screen.

COOL trick! I love linux!

When I first started using SuSE (and Linux) I had a couple different
mouse issues. _Make_sure_ you are loading the PS/2 protocol in
.XF86config (forgive me if you already knew that).

BTW, I don't know if this is a (SuSE) problem with PS/2 *or* USB-->PS/2
conversion, but when I tried to spare a USB port by using the PS/2
converter that was packaged with my Logitech Optical USB mouse, SuSE
Linux gave me the crap that I've heard others talk about: when you
exit X, GPM starts interpreting mouse *movement* as weird
pageup/pagedown and other miscellaneous commands (such as keyboard
characters!). When I took off the PS/2-->USB converter, the problem
was sovled (worked-around). 2ndly, make sure you have the correct
"port" in .XF86config!! For instance, PS/2 is something like /dev/ps2
or something... I dunno. In particular, this "port" setting might
demand a bit of guesswork! SEE the SuSE online support docs at
www.suse.com! They're what got me through my original mouse woes!

=====
Justin Keyes, m9u35@yahoo.com