Re: [SLUG] xwin32

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 13:58:51 EDT

On 24 May 2002, Derek Glidden wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 08:10, Carson Wilcox wrote:
> > Does anyone have any experience running Willows twin
> > xwin32? It'a an app for running windows apps under
> > unix. Similar to Wine I believe.
>
> Wow, is that still around? I thought those guys went bankrupt back in
> like '99 or so.
>
> It's *very* similar to WINE, in the sense that it's a UNIX-native
> implementation of the Win32 API last time I looked at it.
>
> They had even open-sourced (or somethinged) it at one point, but they
> dropped off everyone's radar a long time ago.

http://www.willows.com/ says Revised: Mar 29, 2002

The readme linked from their home page is for version 3.1.13.

They've got a link for 3.1.14, but it says April 28, 2001 next to it. A
bit over a year ago. The readme says,

"The Willows TWIN libraries development has completely adopted the open
(bazaar) development model. The latest development sources are
available via anonymous CVS server."

They have mailing lists archived. Looks like a 'bot is dutifuly archiving
the one monthly automatic announce note for the past few months. Doesn't
seem to be very active at the moment.