RE: [SLUG] windows emulators

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 14:33:37 EDT

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Carson Wilcox wrote:

> What I need to do is run M$word and I hate to reboot
> to windows to do it.
> I normally use OpenOffice but have some docs at work
> that simply don't convert well enough to do that.
>
> Any Ideas, and please don't suggest that the company
> switch because that isn't about to happen, not in my
> life time, as much as I'd like it to. At any rate, I'm
> a consultant and will be long gone before they
> consider it.
>
> Carson

Well, you could try WINE http://www.winehq.com. It doesn't implement the
full API, but it might have what you need. It's LGPL.

You could try VMWare. http://www.vmware.com. You can run Linux native
with a Windows virtual machine. You will still need to install Windows.
A download eval copy is available.

You could try Virtual PC. http://www.connectix.com/ It runs on Windows,
but will let you run your Linux OS without dual-booting. Also has a
downloadable trial version.

There are probably others. Any of these solutions will be much easier if
your client can supply the Windows software they want you to use.