Re: [SLUG] Listing of Packages.

From: Ken Billings (ken@coffeehouseltd.com)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 15:43:42 EDT

> How can I get a listing (with description) of each of the packages
> available during the installation of RedHat 7.2 and 7.3? That's all
> the packages that are on the distribution CDs - but there must be a
> master list with description in an easily printable/readable listing.
> Any thoughts?

I don't know of a list like you're talking about, although I'm sure
something exists out there. :) You can make one yourself with not too
much effort if you already have a running linux system and the install
CDs.
Roughly:
Make a list of the filenames in the RPMS directory on both cds into a text
file. (use find or ls)Sort the file.
Run the list of filenames through rpm -qip <filename> >>out.list
out.list should then contain the package summary information for every
package sorted by filename.
If you're looking for something prettier, I'd suggest google. ;)

If I have time when I get home I'll do up a listing and send the exact
commands.
-Ken