[SLUG] Restricting a program to a fixed amount of memory.

From: Brett Simpson (Simpsonb@hillsboroughcounty.org)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 14:52:42 EDT

I have a daemon "realserver" that likes to consume all available memory on the system despite using a config option to only use a fixed amount of memory. It even consumes the swap memory so the drive keeps quite busy. Normally this would be an issue for Real support to fix but they won't support 2.4.x kernels. Is there a way to force the daemon or any other program to only see a fixed amount of memory. For example lets say I have 256MB of ram but I only want a particular program to see 96MB.

Brett