Re: [SLUG] Restricting a program to a fixed amount of memory.

From: John Danielson, II (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 16:49:00 EDT

Brett Simpson wrote:

>I have a daemon "realserver" that likes to consume all available memory on the system despite using a config option to only use a fixed amount of memory. It even consumes the swap memory so the drive keeps quite busy. Normally this would be an issue for Real support to fix but they won't support 2.4.x kernels. Is there a way to force the daemon or any other program to only see a fixed amount of memory. For example lets say I have 256MB of ram but I only want a particular program to see 96MB.
>
>Brett

Other than running an umbrella VM like VMWare and running it in an
isolated VM, or running it in a multiinstance server in an isolated VM,
no easy way I know of. In essence, a limited VM is what you need, if it
runs amok like it appears to be doing. VMWARE can let you run multiple
Linux sessions simultaneously, and each can have a different kernel
running also.
Some people run BSDs, Linuxes, Windows, simultaneously this way. So, you
could either do this or run in a KDE3 session with session sharing set
to a small amount. Right now, I have the opposite problem, my shares are
too small due to limited RAM-- which will be fixed this weekend, when
the 512 MB upgrade is stuck in next to the 256 that is there now.

Can you tell if it is grabbing huge buffering space for media stream
feeding??? If so, you might try UNDERSTATING your average connect rate,
AND tell it to only buffer 30 seconds of each stream.

That kept mine from running away with a SUN Java VM present. (I have had
people talking about runaways with Kaffe and kernel 2.4+ with a few
apps. This last was in Mandrake, but might also apply here. The other
resaon I think this might apply is that I have seen Windows versions
work better in this regard with SUN VMs than M$ J++ VMs.)

John.

John.

John.

Registered Linux User #276212, Machine #158988
"Use what works best for your needs, at minimum total cost of ownership."