Re: [SLUG] Trouble with Samba configuration

From: Seth Hollen (seth@hollen.org)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 23:06:13 EDT

Do you have the samba box acting as a wins server? that might help. I
agree this sounds like a tough one.

Seth
seth@hollen.org

On Tue, 2002-06-04 at 21:37, Mark Saunders wrote:
    Hi All

    I have a RH 7.2 install and I am having trouble configuring Samba. I
    cannot ge the Windows 98 box to see the Samba shares although the server
    name shows up in the network neighborhood.

    The smbd and nmbd daemons are running and I can access the windows box
    from the linux machine with smbclient. I can get and put files all day
    betwwen the boxes. This works fine.

    When I try to click on the server name in Windows network neightborhood
    I get a "Cannot locate the spcified computer" or something similar which
    seems to be a netbios name problem. I have the logs turned on and the
    tail of the smbd log just says 'waiting for a connection" It is never
    seeing the Windows attempt to connect. The nmbd log has lots of text but
    nothing jumping out.

    I follwed the trouble tree in the Using Samba book by O'reilly and the
    linux box fails in nmblookup. I get "query failed to find name _SAMBA_"
    and the book points to a config problem with nmbd. My trouble is I don't
    see where any config is done other than smb.conf.

    So if anyone has experience with this kind of a problem I would
    appreciate some help as this has taken lots of time so far. It was
    working in the past and I never remember having to do anything
    extraordinary to make it work.

    Thanks in advance for the help.

    Mark Saunders
    msaunder@tampabay.rr.com

    RH 7.2 on a AMD XP 1900+/Soyo Dragon+ /256 Mb DDr machine. This
    motherboard works very well with the Red Hat - sound, lan, speed, and
    best of all reliability.