[SLUG] Trouble with Samba configuration

From: Mark Saunders (msaunder@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 21:37:32 EDT

Hi All

I have a RH 7.2 install and I am having trouble configuring Samba. I
cannot ge the Windows 98 box to see the Samba shares although the server
name shows up in the network neighborhood.

The smbd and nmbd daemons are running and I can access the windows box
from the linux machine with smbclient. I can get and put files all day
betwwen the boxes. This works fine.

When I try to click on the server name in Windows network neightborhood
I get a "Cannot locate the spcified computer" or something similar which
seems to be a netbios name problem. I have the logs turned on and the
tail of the smbd log just says 'waiting for a connection" It is never
seeing the Windows attempt to connect. The nmbd log has lots of text but
nothing jumping out.

I follwed the trouble tree in the Using Samba book by O'reilly and the
linux box fails in nmblookup. I get "query failed to find name _SAMBA_"
and the book points to a config problem with nmbd. My trouble is I don't
see where any config is done other than smb.conf.

So if anyone has experience with this kind of a problem I would
appreciate some help as this has taken lots of time so far. It was
working in the past and I never remember having to do anything
extraordinary to make it work.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mark Saunders
msaunder@tampabay.rr.com

RH 7.2 on a AMD XP 1900+/Soyo Dragon+ /256 Mb DDr machine. This
motherboard works very well with the Red Hat - sound, lan, speed, and
best of all reliability.