Re: [SLUG] Trouble with Samba configuration

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 09:58:19 EDT

On Tue, 2002-06-04 at 21:37, Mark Saunders wrote:
> When I try to click on the server name in Windows network neightborhood
> I get a "Cannot locate the spcified computer" or something similar which
> seems to be a netbios name problem. I have the logs turned on and the
> tail of the smbd log just says 'waiting for a connection" It is never
> seeing the Windows attempt to connect. The nmbd log has lots of text but
> nothing jumping out.

Have you tried connecting from your Windows machine to your samba
machine using the ip with UNC?
    Start >> Run >> \\192.168.1.10 >> OK

> I follwed the trouble tree in the Using Samba book by O'reilly and the
> linux box fails in nmblookup. I get "query failed to find name _SAMBA_"
> and the book points to a config problem with nmbd. My trouble is I don't
> see where any config is done other than smb.conf.

Do you have the "netbios name" parameter set in the [global] section of
your smb.conf? When you run nmblookup, are you querying the ip or
netbios name?
    $ nmblookup netbios_name
    OR
    $ nmblookup -A 192.168.1.10
If so, what are the results from each?

> So if anyone has experience with this kind of a problem I would
> appreciate some help as this has taken lots of time so far. It was
> working in the past and I never remember having to do anything
> extraordinary to make it work.
>
> Thanks in advance for the help.

If you post your smb.conf, I am sure I could help.

--
Matt Miller
Systems Administrator