Re: [SLUG] Emailing non-ASCII data

From: Matthew Moen (mattlists@younicks.org)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 14:38:57 EDT

It's not "unencoded" but why not use uuencode in the body of
the message. The reciepeint is going to need the ability to uudecode on
his/her end. Sending the entire message through uudecode (headers too
if you feel like it) should produce the original file.

What exactly are you aiming for here? Why are you trying to avoid using
some sort of encoding?

You could try sending things un-encoded via e-mail. Correct me if I'm
wrong, but I believe more modern e-mail servers will deal reasonably
with 8-bit data. AFAIK, most e-mail is encoded these days due to older
MTAs (like sendmail) which don't handle 8-bit data well. That said, I
don't bother trying as it trivial to attach files to e-mail via mutt.
Should you need to automate this procedure and don't feel like reading
lots of RFC's, consider O'reilly's Programming Internet E-mail. There
are perl modules that make this relatively easy.

Thus spake Paul M Foster on the 03 day of the 06 month in the year 2002:

> This comes up because of some Linux fax software documentation I was
> reading. Normally, when I see graphical data (that is, non-ASCII data)
> in emails, it is mime-encoded. So the question is, is it possible to
> send email containing non-ASCII (possibly graphic) data, without it
> being encoded so that the resultant email contains only ASCII data?

If you /really/ want graphics in an ASCII only form, think ASCII-art.
(http://www.asciimation.co.nz/)

--
Matthew Moen

Some people say Linux is like a bicycle without its' training wheels. By contrast, not only does Microsoft Windows have training wheels, but often it's missing a bicycle seat.