Re: [SLUG] crossover office from Codeweavers

From: John Danielson, II (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 16:05:18 EDT

patrick grantham wrote:

>How are youdoing this? Running Outlook, under Wine, under Linux?
>
>On Wednesday 05 June 2002 12:27, you wrote:
>

>>This response is from MS Outlook on my Linux Desktop!!
>>
>>Michael C. Rock

CodeWeavers has two new products, developed partly from Wine Components.
They are: Crossover Plugin and Croosover Office. Crossover Office ends
up as much as a licensed version of StarOffice 6.0, so I opted for the
latter.

StarOffice 6.0 is $80.39 shipping included from Amazon. with Sun tech
support. They will be GIVING it to educational institutions(the programs
are free, support $85.00 per month per SITE, for educational sites), and
bulk discounting it thoroughly to corporations(I think they said 150
seat bulks were about $50.00 per seat). It has Database capability, and
when mine arrives I will see how good the DBMS is, but for the rest it
is the same as OpenOffice 1.0 with support and the convenience of all
versions on one install media and a manual. It runs in Windows, Linux,
and Solaris, and so far I have not been able to throw a presentation at
it from PowerPoint that it cannot edit well-- and then output as a file
PowerPoint can both edit and view, from Linux or Windows. I do not run
Solaris. The PPC version is in beta.

Had Crossover Office arrived 3-6 months earlier, it would have sold like
hotcakes. Now??? I do not know. Depends on support, and I know Sun is
good there. I also know that StarOffice has been in dev for a while,
ever since Sun BOUGHT Star Division. 6.0 dispenses with the integrator
if you want, and you can create a new doc or presentation or drawing or
(about 10 other options) from the New submenu in Write, which default
opens in Linux if you do NOT run a module by opening a module specific
file.

John.

Registered Linux User #276212, Machine #158988
"Use what works best for your needs, at minimum total cost of ownership."