Re: [SLUG] Trouble with Samba configuration

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 15:52:58 EDT

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 12:35, Steven Johnson wrote:

> run the command "net view \\linuxsmbserver" where "\\linuxsmbserver" is the
> netbios name of your linux server running samba.

Or, the equivalent samba client command line:

        linux# smbclient -L linuxsmbserver

or, as I'm usually adept at typing:

        linux# smbclient -L linuxsmbserver -I 10.0.0.1 -U%

U% means map as guest, effectively.

> If you get "The network path was not found" or a similar error, then try the
> command "net view \\xx.xx.xx.xx" where "xx.xx.xx.xx" is the IP address of
> the linux server. If this fails, then making the samba a WINS server will
> not help. If the shares are displayed making the samba server a WINS server
> and forcing all windows machines to use it can help.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for Win95/98/ME.

Mapping by IP only works on NT/2000/XP.

> If you get "access denied" then it is just an access control issue.

Absolutely.

If you're really hard up to get file mapping working, you can also add
the names to your lmhosts file. The following replace those files with a
new entry for linuxsmbserver at 10.0.0.1:

On NT/2000/XP:

        C:\> echo 10.0.0.1 linuxsmbserver #PRE >
C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts

On Win95/98/ME:

        C:\> echo 10.0.0.1 linuxsmbserver #PRE > C:\windows\lmhosts

To re-read the lmhosts file on either platform without rebooting:

        C:\> nbtstat -R

To show the current known names in the NetBIOS cache:

        C:\> nbtstat -c

To show the NetBIOS name records on a machine by IP:

        C:\> nbtstat -A 10.0.0.1

which is the same as:

        linux# nmblookup -A 10.0.0.1

To show the IP for a NetBIOS name:

        C:\> nbtstat -a linuxsmbserver

which is the same as:

        linux# nmblookup MACHINENAME

If you want to find the master browser for a segment, use:

        linux# nmblookup -M WORKGROUP

Under windows, you can map a drive with:

        C:\> net use X: \\linuxsmbserver\share /user:linuxusername

and you can un-map a drive with:

        C:\> net use X: /d

You can also change the drive mapping persistence (if the drive mapping
shows after reboot) with:

        C:\> net use /PERSISTENT:YES

Try the following commands for help:

        C:\> net use /help