[SLUG] What am I missing?

From: Todd Reibling (treibling@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jun 09 2002 - 21:38:26 EDT

I'm having a problem getting my internal network to see the gateway.
Here is my setup.

Windows 2000 Server serving DHCP and DNS.
Linux Red Hat 7.3 server dual homed; 192.168.16.0 and fixed IP
Squid is configured to port IP:8080.
Eth0 is my internal nic
Eth1 (PPP0)is my external nic

When a client tries to make a url request, it timeout. I striped off
all the rules in the Squid proxy to allow full access for
troubleshooting. When I login to the server and activate the
connection, I get very little traffic on the monitor for that
connection. When setting up my DHCP server, I included the gateway IP
as an option. On all of my clients (when running ifconfig), it says the
correct gateway. However, I can't pass any packets through to the Inet.
I spent some time with Technical Support on the phone, but they don't
support Linux. I hooked up my Windows 2000 laptop and was able to
connect without a problem. So to sum this up, I guess my issue here is
IP forwarding. If I'm incorrect with this please let me know. What
puzzles me is I had this working fine a couple of days ago and the only
things I configured with DHCP, DNS, and Squid. It ran fine until I play
around too much and misconfigured something. I have reinstalled this OS
probably 20 times this weekend and I feel like I know every checkbox
available. But the question still lies, what am I doing wrong?
Comments?

Thanks in Advance,
Todd