Re: [SLUG] Looking for an easy CD backup program

From: John Danielson, II (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 20:32:48 EDT

Mike Manchester wrote:

> John;
> I tried this and I always get an error
>
> Prepare volume #2 for /mnt/cdrom1/home.tar and hit return:
> tar:
> home/mchester/.mozilla/default/tvd66swf.slt/Mail/tincan.rapidsys-2.com/Received.sbd/ATT
> is not continued on this volume
>
> When trying to read the second cd in the set. Here are the commands I
> used. Maybe you can see something I'm doing wrong. Or is this the tar
> problem I keep reading about?
>
> tar -X /data/home.exclude --tape-length 570000 -cvMplf home.tar /home/*
> When this pos and prompts me to insert the next vol. I open anohter
> shell and enter
> mkisofs -f -R -r -l -J -V "home 6122002" -o cd1.iso *.tar
> After the iso is made I rm home.tar and go back and hit enter for the
> next tar to be built
> then do the same mkisofs put change the cd1.iso to cd2.iso
> After which I put the cd1 in the drive and do
> tar -tMf /mnt/cdrom/home.tar
> After screen fulls of files I'm prompted to put in the next vol. At
> which point I do and wait a few seconds for the cd drive to stop it
> initial spin up. And press the enter key and I get back this message:
> Prepare volume #2 for /mnt/cdrom1/home.tar and hit return:
> tar:
> home/mchester/.mozilla/default/tvd66swf.slt/Mail/tincan.rapidsys-2.com/Received.sbd/ATT
> is not continued on this volume
>
> I've tried this twice both times with the same problem. Any
> ideas/hints/suggestions?
>
> Mike M.
>
> John Danielson, II wrote:
>

>> Mike Manchester wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to find an easy CD rom backup program. I've searched
>>> freshmeat and icewalkers and tired a few but though some have all
>>> the right options I can't get them to work for one reason or
>>> another. I don't need a network backup solution as this is for a
>>> single user work station.
>>>
>>> Is anyone using anything like this and if so what can you recommend.
>>> Thanks
>>> Mike M
>>>

>> Um, man tar then X-CD-Roast or GCombust.
>>
>> I usually run a set of tars to CD size, then later burn to CD-R. I do
>> this from both Windows and Linux, each to the other physcial HD (each
>> has its own).
>>
>> One HD dies, it gets RMA'd and the recovery comes from the other.
>> With TAR, can recover easily to a HD. Tar also compresses, and if you
>> really want to you can tar.bz2 them. Usually, people script this as
>> far as the backup goes to HD, then burn later, OR backup to tape with
>> BRU Pro being the classic for that. People with servers use BRU PRO,
>> others just script a backup of everything except usually /dev and
>> /proc and write down their part structure as far as size, part name,
>> and typing. Then recovery can be from a bas install followed by an
>> untarring of the tars in sequence.
>>
>> I also UPS my system and antisurge it totally, including network
> [...]
Write pure data CDs, NOT ISOfs CDs. tar is NOT a true ISO format, and
the result of trying to burn as ISO will mess up the driectory pointers.
Also, look at the concatenate option. essentially, you are making
multiple vouumes, but need not make them inot ISOs. I just tell GCombust
to cut the file as a file to a CD, then do the next, etc, and I bet that
the continuation of the file got lost somehow. Curiously, I can read
GCombust's directories on Windows machines with CD-ROMS that cannot read
ISO CDs, also. Second, I burn all the tars and then do a diff with tar
on the whole set compared to what is there on the HD before wiping.

Registered Linux User #276212, Machine #158988
"Use what works best for your needs, at minimum total cost of ownership."