Re: [SLUG] Coolest use of BSD !

From: John Danielson, II (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 07:09:04 EDT

Bill wrote:

>On Wednesday 12 June 2002 00:34, you wrote:
>

>>They have a ms webserver operating behind a BSDOS reverse proxy, caching
>>system, load balancer or firewall. There is also the possibility the
>>server has been configured to provide false information.
>>Smitty
>>
>>On Tuesday 11 June 2002 22:52, you wrote:
>>

>>>I hereby nominate www.salliemae.com for the coolest use of BSD :-)
>>>
>>>http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=www.salliemae.com
>>>

>Yeah ... I know. Apache will tell the world whatever you want it to, too. I
>gotta believe we've found a government sysad with a good sense of humor. :-)
>The only thing we can be really certain of is that IIS isn't running on BSD.
>(at least, not yet!)

Actually, looks like we are looking at a server farm or network, outer
layer BSD portalling\gating, possibly inside is either IIS 5.0 or even
Windriver's BSD ISE (at version 4.3, now) that is acting like IIS 5.0 to
the net analysis software. Or the BSD outer layer is lying about what is
inside to anything probing it. I KNOW quite a few places in Canada are
going to BSD for secure layering. Some people are also running VMWare
for Linux\Unix on BSD, any chance we are seeing a VM within BSD running
microsoft???

Registered Linux User #276212, Machine #158988
"Use what works best for your needs, at minimum total cost of ownership."