Re: [SLUG] Mandrake 8.2 and Evolution

From: Bill (bill@organic-earth.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 10:46:26 EDT

On Thursday 13 June 2002 07:37, you wrote:
> >I wrestled with it on MDK 8.0 for a while before giving up. I never could
> > get it to work correctly for me and it gave me grief about my KDE menus
> > so I pitched it.
> >
> >I feel culturally deprived, but them's the breaks.
>
> I've never gotten Evolution going with Mandrake and KDE either.
> Apparently you need to be part of Gnome culture to make it work...
>
> - Robin

My objection was that it forced me to join that culture. Red-carpet install
dramatically altered my KDE menus and went so far as to change the default
GUI ... and that is a big no-no in my book. When I asked (politely) about
this, I twice got a snooty, snotty response from Gnome tech support.

I don't play that way.

rm -rf gnome*

KDE works just fine. Eventually a first rate Evolution equivalent will happen
along for KDE and I'll use it. With Evolution I had to use other programs to
deal with my email anyways ... so, even running the then-current version of
Gnome and Evolution as installed by red-carpet, Evolution did not work as
advertised.

Bill

--
 10:35am  up 114 days,  6:44,  5 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.14, 0.08

"I'm thinking of going back to Windows; in Linux, none of the viruses seem to work."

http://organic-earth.com Organic urban gardening. With photos.