Re: [SLUG] Mandrake 8.2 and Evolution

From: John Danielson, II (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 20:15:29 EDT

Carson Wilcox wrote:

>I'm not using any pcmcia cards.
>
>Carson
>--- awyatt@fewt.com wrote:
>

>>When this happens, try ejecting your pcmcia cards,
>>and see if it instantly comes back to life.
>>

>>You Wrote:
>>
>>Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:10:57 -0700 (PDT)
>>From: Carson Wilcox <carson_wilcox@yahoo.com>
>>To: slug@nks.net
>>Subject: Re: [SLUG] Mandrake 8.2 and Evolution
>>
>>That's true, but I don't have remote access to my
>>laptop.
>>

>>--- Matt Miller <mmiller1@mptotalcare.com> wrote:

>>>point

>>>do is

>>>I had a problem when I first enabled DRI for my
>>>Radeon card (in kernel
>>>and XF86Config). The display would freeze when I
>>>would switch from the X
>>>display to the virtual terminals -- ctrl+alt+f7
>>>

>>-->
>>

>>>ctrl+alt+f[1-6]. I
>>>found that although my X server was frozen I could
>>>still ssh into the
>>>box and bring it down gracefully. Keep in mind,
>>>

>>the
>>

>>>X server controls
>>>keyboard, mouse and video, so when it freezes
>>>usually the keyboard and
>>>mouse inputs no longer work. But, an inaccessible

>>>server should not
>>>prevent you from accessing the box remotely.
>>>HTH
>>>--
>>>Matt Miller
>>>Systems Administrator
>>>MP TotalCare
>>>gpg public key id:
>>>08BC7B06
>>>

>>>ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-signature
>>>

>>name=signature.asc

>>Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
>>http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

>http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Ok, lessee, modems in PCCARD slot are PCMCIA, some Glidepoints are run
as PCMCIA bus logically( some are run as PS\2 logically, and having an
active Glidepoint pad and a PS\2 external mouse hooked up at tha same
time can crash a laptop), and you might look at http://linuxlaptop.org/
and see if any help there, and http://www.tldp.com/ has a guide on
laptops also.

John.

Registered Linux User #276212, Machine #158988
"Use what works best for your needs, at minimum total cost of ownership."