Re: [SLUG] Pathing limits conundrum - SLUG list server

From: John Danielson, II (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 20:41:21 EDT

Ken Billings wrote:

>On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 13:51, John Danielson, II wrote:
>

>>In future, will wait 24 hours before reposting, sorry (can scavange from
>>sent folder in Netscape 7.0 PR 1, which is what I did with the second
>>copy). What actually happened with the first post(which never appeared),
>>was that it got double-posted on LEAPList. Sheesh. Then I forwarded it
>>to SLUG, and got a mesage from Carson that appeared to have been sent to
>>SLUG as a post about 24 hours before it showed up, adn nothing else. So,
>>later, I tried sending it as a complete reedit just to SLUG to see if it
>>would post, and the server posted both. Prelim conclusion, the list
>>intake is being batched, with a bit of admin help. And will check a few
>>things myself-- what the heck is coffeehouseltd.com, through which the
>>list is going?????????
>>
>>John.
>>

>Sounds like a mess... As far as I know there is no manual admin
>intervention at all on normal incoming posts. It just takes a long time
>for the mail server to send it out.
>coffeehouseltd.com is my mail server. If you look at the headers I
>posted closely, you'll see it leave your machine, hit the list server
>and then sit for a long time on bart.nks.net (outgoing mail server),
>before being sent to coffeehouseltd.com. If you look at the headers for
>the mail _you_ received, of course the final destination will be
>different. I've regularly seen posts sit on bart for up to and over an
>hour.
>
>-Ken

That does make sense, but I think either the list is lower priority at
bart, or bart is maybe batching sends either by a minimum amount send
(send pending queue minimum size before sending) or a cron job to you.
Yes, that was the hangup. And yes, knew it was your email server that
was doing the final send shortly after I asked.

John.

Registered Linux User #276212, Machine #158988
"Use what works best for your needs, at minimum total cost of ownership."