Re: [SLUG] School Project - Update - (RED HAT FANS...PLEASE READ THIS!!!!)

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 01:00:04 EDT

On Sat, 2002-06-15 at 22:52, David Meyer wrote:
> Well, since you ask, the individual I spoke to is based in Raleigh, NC, and is
> the person in charge of the OEM partnerships...he was referred to me by the
> Florida sales rep for Red Hat. If you still don't believe me I'll post all
> the names I spoke to on Monday with phone numbers.

Please do. I would sure like to talk to these folks and understand their
thinking. RedHat denying pre-built Linux boxen with their own product
seems a bit ludicrous. For them to deny bundling their free GPLed
version of RedHat with the systems you build is a Really Bad Thing.

This is like SuSE putting out a gutted version of 8.0 without their
commercial installer and saying you can't pre-install only the GPLed
packages on boxes for people.

I'd be begging for RedHat or SuSE to sue me for infringement. The FSF
and EFF love this kind of confrontation.

> Listen, call me a troll or FUD, I assure you that this call was legit, and
> perfectly accurate. I frankly could care less if you believe me or not.

You've given us no reason to doubt you. Some followup contact
information would be nice though - I'd love to follow up on this one
myself.

> Since I have nothing to gain, other than to tell you which way red Hat is
> going after having a 45 minute discussion with them, do with it what you
> want. Don't believe me, call them yourself.

Sure. A monday phonecall sounds in order.

> As far your statements about
> my having no credability...get a life you arrogant clown.

Please, no flamewars or mud throwing on the list - there's really no
need for it. I find it personally distateful.

> Dave
>

> > FUD, or a troll, or perhaps (dare I say it?) a true
> > infringement by you, if you have appropiated their
> > _copyrighted_ logo or name without acknowledgement or
> > preservation of their marques.

*sigh*

> > See the fine print at the bottom of:
> > http://www.owlriver.com/ Use my marque or non-GPL'd content
> > without acknowledgement or consent, and you'll get a like
> > threat from me or my I.P. counsel when I learn of it.

Lawyers need to feed their kids too, I suppose.

> > - -- Russ Herrold
> > - --
> > end
> > ==================================
> > .-- -... ---.. ... -.- -.--
> > Copyright (C) 2002 R P Herrold
> > herrold@owlriver.com NIC: RPH5 (US)
> > My words are not deathless prose,
> > but they are mine.
> >
> > Owl River Company
> > "The World is Open to Linux (tm)"
> > ... Open Source LINUX solutions ...
> > info@owlriver.com
> > Columbus, OH

> --
>
> *****************
> David R. Meyer
> President
> CRB Technologies, Inc.
> 813.651.4933 (ph)
> 813.389.4529 (mobile)
> david@crbtechnologies.com
> Custom Data Solutions Powered by Red Hat and SuSE Linux
> http://www.crbtechnologies.com

Copyright (C) 2002 Ian C. Blenke
 ian@blenke.com NIC: ICB5 (US)
 My words are free, distribute them openly.
 Borrow and improve upon them as you wish.
 Change the meaning or misrepresent the source at your own peril.

NOTE: The above views do not necessarily represent Networked Knowledge
Systems (NKS.NET). My words are my own reponsibility. It is my belief,
however, that my coworkers would rather agree.