Re: [SLUG] One more thing regarding Red Hat

From: John Danielson, II (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 15:53:01 EDT

Smitty wrote:

>On Sunday 16 June 2002 14:21, you wrote:
>

>>Smitty wrote:
>>

>>>This thread has been interesting. My own experience with RedHat has been
>>>a mixed bag when I was using the distro, which was my first.
>>>I do not like their lack of documentation in their "deluxe workstation"
>>>versions that one pays $80.00 for. The same amount of money buys a much
>>>better value with SuSE's professional versions where you get enough
>>>documentation to administer the applications and OS on your box most of
>>>the time. I cannot precisely compare the support quality of RedHat and
>>>SuSE as by the time I switched distros, I understood linux fairly well,
>>>but, I found the knowledge and aptitude of RedHat tech support to vary
>>>greatly, from one case where the advise was downright destructive, to
>>>admittedly not knowing what the problem was and passing me to the next
>>>level of support, to handling the matter professionally and promptly.
>>>Real book documentation for RH has to be purchased in the form of
>>>expensive heavy books. I have found that SuSE usually has better
>>>hardware compatibility than does RedHat. Also, the few times I have
>>>needed them for support, their personnel were always polite, professional
>>>and to the point. I have my business in a city where the government runs
>>>on RH linux and the folks I know there who use it really like it, but the
>>>sys admin managing it truly knows his stuff.
>>>All in all, I think SuSE is a better choice for laptops and workstations.
>>>You have been persuaded to make lemonade out of lemons by the cranky
>>>fellow at RedHat. Someday they will learn.
>>>Smitty
>>>

>>Well, actually RedHat might have done something you did not realize--
>>they stuck a huge pile of docs on one of the CDs, in PDF form. In your
>>particular distro I do not know which CD it is, but on the download sets
>>it tends to be ISO three, with the DOCS in the name. I printed about 300
>>pages, after deciding I needed them-- this makes it easier for RedHat to
>>put stuff up to date tot eh week instead of a snapshot as of 2-3 months
>>before to allow for printing and proofing and binding. Some of the docs
>>are ALSO in HTML form, but by no means all of them.
>>
>>John.
>>

>No, I was aware of RH's documentation on cd, but SuSE has that as well.
>One of the really great things about SuSE is that I don't have to print out
>most documentation, they already supply that in the manuals that come with
>the distro. Sorry, you had to print out 300 pages of RedHat documentation.
>Smitty

Yes, but it was current to the last minute changes up to a few days
before the ISOs were mastered for the version release. That was my first
Linux install, so I let the printer run in Windows in the background for
1\2 hour while I had dinner (and got up twice to fill the paper tray)
and spent about $8.00 on paper and ink...:) The issue is accuracy, I
agree that printed books are good but if you must hold up a release to
revise, or force people to read a bunch of app and functional readmes,
well...:)

For a new person, Mandrake or RedHat would still be my first choice,
possibly RedHat 7.2 with the published RedHat Bible (by a fellow named
Negus) to start with. SuSE would be more GNU-like, but harder to install
for those used to Windows adnn unfamiliar with Linux. If comcast would
support Linux officially, I might change to what they supported, but
surf anyway with Mandrake because it and ComCast get along except with
Opera 6+.

John.

Registered Linux User #276212, Machine #158988
"Use what works best for your needs, at minimum total cost of ownership."