Re: [SLUG] One more thing regarding Red Hat

From: Smitty (a.smitty@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 14:34:50 EDT

On Sunday 16 June 2002 14:21, you wrote:
> Smitty wrote:
> >This thread has been interesting. My own experience with RedHat has been
> > a mixed bag when I was using the distro, which was my first.
> >I do not like their lack of documentation in their "deluxe workstation"
> >versions that one pays $80.00 for. The same amount of money buys a much
> >better value with SuSE's professional versions where you get enough
> >documentation to administer the applications and OS on your box most of
> > the time. I cannot precisely compare the support quality of RedHat and
> > SuSE as by the time I switched distros, I understood linux fairly well,
> > but, I found the knowledge and aptitude of RedHat tech support to vary
> > greatly, from one case where the advise was downright destructive, to
> > admittedly not knowing what the problem was and passing me to the next
> > level of support, to handling the matter professionally and promptly.
> > Real book documentation for RH has to be purchased in the form of
> > expensive heavy books. I have found that SuSE usually has better
> > hardware compatibility than does RedHat. Also, the few times I have
> > needed them for support, their personnel were always polite, professional
> > and to the point. I have my business in a city where the government runs
> > on RH linux and the folks I know there who use it really like it, but the
> > sys admin managing it truly knows his stuff.
> >All in all, I think SuSE is a better choice for laptops and workstations.
> >You have been persuaded to make lemonade out of lemons by the cranky
> > fellow at RedHat. Someday they will learn.
> >Smitty
> >

> Well, actually RedHat might have done something you did not realize--
> they stuck a huge pile of docs on one of the CDs, in PDF form. In your
> particular distro I do not know which CD it is, but on the download sets
> it tends to be ISO three, with the DOCS in the name. I printed about 300
> pages, after deciding I needed them-- this makes it easier for RedHat to
> put stuff up to date tot eh week instead of a snapshot as of 2-3 months
> before to allow for printing and proofing and binding. Some of the docs
> are ALSO in HTML form, but by no means all of them.
>
> John.

No, I was aware of RH's documentation on cd, but SuSE has that as well.
One of the really great things about SuSE is that I don't have to print out
most documentation, they already supply that in the manuals that come with
the distro. Sorry, you had to print out 300 pages of RedHat documentation.
Smitty