Re: [SLUG] One more thing regarding Red Hat

From: John Danielson, II (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 14:21:00 EDT

Smitty wrote:

>This thread has been interesting. My own experience with RedHat has been a
>mixed bag when I was using the distro, which was my first.
>I do not like their lack of documentation in their "deluxe workstation"
>versions that one pays $80.00 for. The same amount of money buys a much
>better value with SuSE's professional versions where you get enough
>documentation to administer the applications and OS on your box most of the
>time. I cannot precisely compare the support quality of RedHat and SuSE as
>by the time I switched distros, I understood linux fairly well, but, I found
>the knowledge and aptitude of RedHat tech support to vary greatly, from one
>case where the advise was downright destructive, to admittedly not knowing
>what the problem was and passing me to the next level of support, to handling
>the matter professionally and promptly. Real book documentation for RH has
>to be purchased in the form of expensive heavy books. I have found that SuSE
>usually has better hardware compatibility than does RedHat. Also, the few
>times I have needed them for support, their personnel were always polite,
>professional and to the point. I have my business in a city where the
>government runs on RH linux and the folks I know there who use it really like
>it, but the sys admin managing it truly knows his stuff.
>All in all, I think SuSE is a better choice for laptops and workstations.
>You have been persuaded to make lemonade out of lemons by the cranky fellow
>at RedHat. Someday they will learn.
>Smitty
>
>On Sunday 16 June 2002 07:48, you wrote:
>

>>If you do choose to call Chris Burnette, please don't shoot him...he is
>>just the sales guy for Florida who happens to sit next to the one who
>>called me.
>>
>>When you do talk to the right person, ask them this "So you mean to tell me
>>that if I sella computer that I make, and someone asks me to put Red Hat
>>on it, and I do for NO CHARGE, that's wrong?" You'll be amazed at the
>>answer you get.
>>
>>I'm gong to consider this closed on my end. I had the conversation with
>>them and only wanted the group to know what Red Hat is really about. Until
>>Friday I was a huge Red Hat supporter. Now, every single commercial and
>>residential customer I have will hear one thing...SuSE. Like Red Hat, they
>>too have a good product, and are channel friendly.
>>
>>And finally...Happy Fathers Day everyone.
>>
>>Dave
>>
>>*****************
>>David R. Meyer
>>President
>>CRB Technologies, Inc.
>>813.651.4933 (ph)
>>813.389.4529 (mobile)
>>david@crbtechnologies.com
>>Custom Data Solutions Powered by SuSE Linux
>>http://www.crbtechnologies.com

Well, actually RedHat might have done something you did not realize--
they stuck a huge pile of docs on one of the CDs, in PDF form. In your
particular distro I do not know which CD it is, but on the download sets
it tends to be ISO three, with the DOCS in the name. I printed about 300
pages, after deciding I needed them-- this makes it easier for RedHat to
put stuff up to date tot eh week instead of a snapshot as of 2-3 months
before to allow for printing and proofing and binding. Some of the docs
are ALSO in HTML form, but by no means all of them.

John.

Registered Linux User #276212, Machine #158988
"Use what works best for your needs, at minimum total cost of ownership."