Re: [SLUG] What Do your acronyms mean and HELP!!

From: John Danielson, II (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 13:52:11 EDT

Joe Brandt wrote:

>I am a complete newbie to Linux and newsgroups.
>I read things like IMHO and FUD et. al. and I have no idea what these mean.
>Is there a list of slang acronyms and there meanings that I can reference?
>
>Thank You.
>
>Also I am attempting a network install across my lan from a downloaded
>Mandrake 8.2 edition off of Guild FTP in a win98 (which will be deleted
>after the learning curve) partition. I get good connection, the program
>goes into memory, the drives get partitioned and "an error has occurred
>missing basesystem package". and goes into an endless partition loop.
>
>I downloaded the iso's and checked their checksums before extracting them to
>the C:/Linuxcd directory which I serve ftp from.

Well, in my case I had to have the first ISO local, first burned to a CD
then put in a CD-ROM drive and had to tell it to format the partitions
after partitioning them on the first install pass to get it to complete.

John.

Registered Linux User #276212, Machine #158988
"Use what works best for your needs, at minimum total cost of ownership."