Re: [SLUG] Log File Viewer

From: Glen (gurensan@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 13:21:51 EDT

I usually just log SYN packets coming in from the outside. Since you can't
connect without them, I just run a cron job to look at logged SYN packets,
where they're coming from, when the attempt was made, and what port. If I
don't recognize a connection attempt, I look up what's supposed to be using
that port.

This, of course, does absolutely nothing for exploits for services that are
running on the system, but then I run only ssh, iptables, and the one daily
cron'd run of ntpdate on the firewall (strange battery thing). Nothing else I
run uses any network resources, i.e. cron.

        Glen