Re: Re: [SLUG] School Project - Not a Troll...consider Debian

From: David Meyer (david@crbtechnologies.com)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 13:40:09 EDT

> > In all my years as a Linux person (Circa 1996), I have only ever
> > heard of *1* SUSE installation and it was on a personal machine.
>
> Oh, I hear of many of them. Primarily mainframe installations. IBM is
> huge on SuSE/S390.
>
> It's also suprising the number of SLUG members that run SuSE. I'm not a
> bit proponent of any RPM distro, particularly SuSE, but it DOES have a
> huge following (much much larger than RedHat in fact, primarily in
> Europe).

I'll second the SuSE install base. My wife and I hosted a European student
for a summer and she told us that most of her friends use SuSE on their PC's,
and some of the students in the school we're working in right now know about
Linux from the students they have hosted from Europe. This was part of our
attraction to Linux when we were forming our business model. Linux seems to
be as popular over seas as Microsoft, and it appears to be primarily the
Americans that have a hard time getting away from Microsoft. Because we are
planning on Internation expansion within two years, Linux was the obvious
choice. And, as Ive said many times, we've not seen our being a Linux
focused business be an issue for our customers...we've converted many to
Linux.

This has been a fascinating discussion to follow, despite the way it has gone
a few times.

Dave
David R. Meyer
President
CRB Technologies, Inc.
813.651.4933 (ph)
813.389.4529 (mobile)
david@crbtechnologies.com
Custom Data Solutions Powered by SuSE Linux
http://www.crbtechnologies.com