Re: Re: [SLUG] School Project - Not a Troll...consider Debian

From: awyatt@fewt.com
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 15:44:00 EDT

I feel the need to ask. Was the person that started the thread correct?

Date: 17 Jun 2002 15:18:08 -0400
From: "Martin C. Messer" <marty@redhat.com>
To: slug@nks.net
Subject: Re: [SLUG] School Project - Not a Troll...consider Debian

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 10:31, Ronan Heffernan wrote:
> Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> > Linux is Linux. Unlike the various flavors of Unix, most every Linux
> > distribution "acts" like every other. The primary differences are only
> > in the packaging and init scripts (and the config files those init
> > scripts read).
> >
> > Once you understand how to use and create tarballs, RPMs, and DEBs,
> > you've mastered the packages.
> >

> That is my point. Do not say, "You have to use RedHat, because there is
> no local support for anything else." Instead, technology decision
> makers should say, "Linux is Linux, and it doesn't really matter which
> distro you use for a project. There is a smidge of difference; it is a
> matter of taste." If we choose to *rely* on RedHat-proprietary, non-GPL
> extensions, then we are granting RedHat monopoly power over us. We
> should make a determined effort to avoid vendor lock-in!

I understand the point you are making, but to clarify, there are no Red
Hat proprietary, non-GPL extensions in Red Hat Linux. The only non-GPL
thing still shipped is Netscape Communicator, though it is already
deprecated and on its way out. I don't expect it to make the next cut.

--
Martin C. Messer | marty@redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc. | Information Systems & Technologies