Re: [SLUG] School Project - Not a Troll...consider Debian

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 21:18:56 EDT

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 03:18:08PM -0400, Martin C. Messer wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 10:31, Ronan Heffernan wrote:
> > Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> > > Linux is Linux. Unlike the various flavors of Unix, most every Linux
> > > distribution "acts" like every other. The primary differences are only
> > > in the packaging and init scripts (and the config files those init
> > > scripts read).
> > >
> > > Once you understand how to use and create tarballs, RPMs, and DEBs,
> > > you've mastered the packages.
> > >

> > That is my point. Do not say, "You have to use RedHat, because there is
> > no local support for anything else." Instead, technology decision
> > makers should say, "Linux is Linux, and it doesn't really matter which
> > distro you use for a project. There is a smidge of difference; it is a
> > matter of taste." If we choose to *rely* on RedHat-proprietary, non-GPL
> > extensions, then we are granting RedHat monopoly power over us. We
> > should make a determined effort to avoid vendor lock-in!
>
> I understand the point you are making, but to clarify, there are no Red
> Hat proprietary, non-GPL extensions in Red Hat Linux. The only non-GPL
> thing still shipped is Netscape Communicator, though it is already
> deprecated and on its way out. I don't expect it to make the next cut.

I was just going to say this. I know of no non-GPLed (or like licensed)
content on the RH distro, other than Netscape and such. This same thing
cannot be said of SuSE.

Red Hat "tools" were mentioned as well. No offense to the Red Hat guys,
but what tools there are on Red Hat are meager. Further, if you actually
want to know anything about what you're doing, you _have_ to dig into
the config files.

There is a definite liability to populating an installation with more
than one distro. For one thing, scripts to do your admin chores
typically don't work on all the distros. And if they do, they're
incredibly complex in order to discern the differences between the
distros. One Distro make adminning easier by far. Yes, Linux is Linux,
and there are more thinks alike than different, but those little
differences will drive you nuts on a multi-distro installation.

And let's say that Red Hat becomes the Redmond Monster and does all
kinds of untoward things. Beyond any proprietary content, they are
mainly Open Source. You can still work with that. That's even mostly
true of SuSE. On SuSE, their admin tools are proprietary. But the config
files are still there, and there's still a lot of source code available.
I'm not particularly concerned about Red Hat's overpowering market
share, or their potential to snub their noses at Open Source. I know
Linux, so I can wipe and reinstall Debian. I just have to adjust a few
things.

Paul