Re: [SLUG] Suncoast LUG Meetings

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 21:36:14 EDT

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 09:54:22AM -0400, robin wrote:

> Craig Zeigler wrote:
>
> >Definatly Wed, even though it's over 40 miles from here
> >

> Not trying to detract from SLUG, but at what southward point does Port
> Charlotte become a more attractive option?
>
> There's an excellent, active LUG down in that part of the country, you
> know.
>
> swflug.org/ doesn't seem to be working right now, so perhaps try later.

I should address this. I've never said that someone couldn't start a LUG
in SLUG's back yard. Be my guest, and more power to whoever wants to
try it.

There has been some discussion among the officers of the group about
when enough is enough on different meetings in different places. I'd say
we're about full up, except maybe for St Pete (which no one seems to be
able to get going; don't they use computers down there?). I don't know
of another LUG in the world that has as many meetings in as many places
as regularly as we do.

If you have to drive 40 miles to a SLUG meeting, you're welcome to. But
in a case like that, I think it might be time to consider starting a LUG
where you are. I would be willing to provide as much guidance as I can,
and Mark Bishop and Russ Herrold could do so as well. Moreover, if you
want to start a LUG where you are, nothing says you can't come to SLUG
meetings and be on the SLUG list as well. We might even promote your
meetings for a short time as you're getting started. ;-}

The two reasons for this group are 1) support and 2) advocacy. (Well,
that and geekiness. ;-) The list and meetings are for anyone, and are
our primary means of supporting the Linux community. And advocacy
dictates that it's more important that you're involved in Linux than
what particular LUG you belong to.

Paul