Re: [SLUG] VPN from Windows Computer to Samba Server

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 17:42:15 EDT

Ah, glad to see someone utilizing ssh! (OpenSSH no doubt.)
The microsoft vpn is really not secure but gives a false sense of security.
You are clearly putting ssh to use well!

In a book I have on VPN (Building Linux VPNs) the authors says if you for some
resaon have to support ms vpn "..we offer our deepest sympathies." Hehe.

There's no coincident OpenSSH is made by the OpenBSD people. Solid product!

On Monday 17 June 2002 12:17, Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 10:05, JVergara@equinox.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does somebody have a clue of how to connect a Windows client (98-
> > W2K) from home to a Samba shared volume in
> > a Linux server at work - via VPN?
>
> Yes. Via a full VPN, or some form of a TCP tunnel of port 139 and/or
> 445.
>
> > Let's state that the Samba Server is connected thru the Internet with
> > DSL connection even though its TCP port is not exposed to the public
> > network and the Windows client has a Internet dialup connection.
> > what software do I need in both sides ?
>
> Well, if you have sshd running on "workgateway" (which can be
> "sambaserver" machine itself or a firewall in front of it), and you
> don't have Microsoft filesharing enabled on your Win98/Win2k client
> machine, it's rather easy:
>
> ssh -L 139:sambaserver:139 workgateway

snip

--

Steve

_____________________________________________________________ HTML in e-mail is not safe. It let's spammers know to spam you, and sets you up for online attack through IE 4.5 and above. Using HTML promotes it as safe to the uninitiated.