Re: [SLUG] Lindows Pc now available at Wal-Mart

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 23:16:31 EDT

On Monday 17 June 2002 22:42, robin wrote:
> It turns out Microtel is looking at other Linux distros besides Lindows
> for their Wal-Mart PCs, which is one of the tidbits their guy shared
> with me. Here's an even better one: Microtel's return rate for computers
> with Linux preloaded is much lower than their return rate for ones
> shipped with Windows. This is especially interesting in light of all the
> "Wal-Mart shoppers will never be able to figure out Linux" comments that
> have been floated here and there.
>
> - Robin

A friend of mine came to me asking for help with her computer. She's quite
illiterate in this area, but not afraid of change. So rather than letting her
go on her merry way with a new Windows install I put SuSE on it and returned
it with a dual boot where Linux is the default one.

She was rather happy and felt that it was easier to operate than Windows.
Now, she's had a number of problems with printing, copy/paste things like
that. But it's now been three or four months and I seldom hear from her. Did
I tell you she depends it for her small business every day.

It's a rather funny feeling having this Linux machine run out there. Something
akin to having your child walk out into life. If anything prevents her from
producing on it I jump on it as soon as can but like I said it's been quiet.

A while ago she told me there's no need to keep that other drive (with
Windows). I'd call that a successfull "experiment"!

--

Steve

_____________________________________________________________ HTML in e-mail is not safe. It let's spammers know to spam you, and sets you up for online attack through IE 4.5 and above. Using HTML promotes it as safe to the uninitiated.