Re: [SLUG] 815e drivers

From: John D. (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 21:39:23 EDT

M E Wilson wrote:

> Hi Everyone
> I am running a Gigabyte GA-60xM7E MB withh an Intel 815e chipset, with
> Mandrake 8.2. Everything is working good and Mandrake picked up everything
> except the 815e stuff. I am not using the on board sound or video so no
> problem there however would like to get drivers for the ATA 100 features. I
> have the machine set up with removable drive bays and am using an older 5gb
> hdd, but want to get a larger new drive for my final setup. The 5gb drive was
> just a play thing to test different systems but I've seen the light and my
> win 98se driive is sitting on the shelf collecting dust. Thanks in advance
> for any ideas. I am a new Slug member and also a Linux newbee but my
> computering goes back to the XT and DOS. Maury

Well, you can get to a forced ATA\66 mode, but actually I think your drive might
be internally running at ATA\100. Unfortunately, true ATA\100 support is still
in the works for stock Mandrake. I have a WD 400BB series, and it will run any
speed asked of it--but the data flow rates for things like iso burns tell me it
is really going at ATA\100 rates-- and it did so in both Mandrake and RedHat (I
am now running RedHat 7.3, switch back and forth, and both run fine-- except for
sane\xsane set, which works only in Mandrake.) .

I recommend WD BB or AB series, both are good, the BB series is a 7200 RPM and
the AB is a 5400 RPM. Avoid EB like heck, it is a one-year economy line. JB is
probably overkill as it is an 8 MB buffer HD, at 7200 RPM-- so unless you NEED
screaming data flow for motion video multimedia stream editing, a WD400BB or
WD600BB are good choices.

John.