Re: [SLUG] Mouse vexation

From: John D. (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 18:10:15 EDT

Logan wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-06-23 at 15:02, Logan wrote:
> <snip everything I said in the previous message>
>
> Possibly more useful additional information in regard to my mouse
> perplexity with Debian Stable:
>
> I have a Matrox G400 with 16MB RAM
> --
After reading your two posts, I can only offer experiments:

Since Microsoft seems to work, is this a cordless??? Cordless
OPTICAL????

I had something slightly similar, and it was with KDE, but what made it
maddening was that it only happened in KDE with the focus shifting as
the cursor passed over it. I ended up changing KDE to Windows like
behavior mode, and shifting the focus with a double-click. Then I pluged
the USB RAT into its PS\2 adaptor, reset the mouse to a PS\2 driver (and
in Mandrake it HAD to be the PS\2 Glidepoint driver to track the very
high-res optical tracking my rat uses and I had to slow down the
acceleration to minimum adn the scroll rate to minimum to get ti to
work), and have full middle and scrolling functionality in the apps that
support such as well as boht left and right mouse buttons. The basic
setup for the "Windows" look was in KDE 3.0's first time wizard (KDE 2.2
did NOT work right for my rat in three distros with a couple versions of
each-- period.). The focus was in the Windows configuration, looked like
a KDE-->X config hookup in a wizard from what it did.

My RAT: A Microsoft Wheel Optical, with a GLIDEPOINT motion parsing
chip(chip from Cirque, with the Glidepoint logoing on the mouse bottom
and the Cirque Pointer Technology logo also)-- yes, someone married
optical motion sensing with a pressure motion pad parser!!!.

Some of this might help, it looks like a mouse overrunning the
capability of the rest of the operating system to track it due to an
older kernel and driver module set for mice that were BUNCHES slower
(like 10 TIMEs or more slower)-- and the OTHER symptoms are similar. In
my case, the problems were mitigated after kernel 2.4.18, and the Video
Card was not a factor( I went through four modles of video card, two
each from NVidia and ATI, and the problem remained. I have not played
with Potato, sorry, but have had this issue for 20+ installs of 9
different subversions of Linux (the first 5 of which I massively broke
within the first day of install while learning-- read stumbling about
blindly, knowing only how to kill a daemon as far as details went,
before finding cohesive doc sources). Newer kernel and mouse driver set,
problem gone.

John.