Re: [SLUG] Mouse vexation

From: Logan (logan1304@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 18:52:04 EDT

On Sun, 2002-06-23 at 18:14, Glen wrote:

> Eliminating (well, commenting out) the 3-button emulation worked out just
> fine. I think it might simply be your choice of protocol.
>
> Glen
>

> On Sunday 23 June 2002 06:11 pm, you wrote:
> > Your protocol - is this a PS/2 mouse? Here's my mouse config (from Xf86
> > ver. 4.1):
> >
> > Section "Pointer"
> > Protocol "PS/2"
> > Device "/dev/psaux"
> > Emulate3Buttons
> > Emulate3Timeout 50
> > EndSection
> >
> > I've got a Logitech 3-button mouse, too. Nothing special about it, no
> > wheel, etc. Now that I think about it, I'm going to eliminate the
> > Emulate3Buttons option and see how it works. Let ya know as soon as I
> > restart X.
> >
> > Glen
> >
> > On Sunday 23 June 2002 03:02 pm, you wrote:
> > > Hello Everyone,
> > >
> > > I just switched from SuSE to Debian stable on my home box. I have
> > > a mouse problem driving me crazy. GPM works perfectly and my middle
> > > button allows me to paste normally in the console. I installed X11 and
> > > no matter what configuration I use in my "Pointer" Section of
> > > XF86Config, my mouse (a Logitech 3 button) uses "emulate 3 buttons" or,
> > > otherwise, any other option makes my pointer just go insane. The only
> > > useable configuration for me in XF86Config is as follows:
> > >
> > > Section "Pointer"
> > > Protocol "Microsoft"
> > > Device "/dev/mouse"
> > > Emulate3Buttons
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > If I turn off the Emulate3Buttons, I have an excellent two button
> > > mouse which actually has three! Heh. And no more paste ability.
> > > Can someone tell me or point me to a way to fix this? Searching
> > > Google with "3 button mouse Linux Debian" (and other variations of the
> > > aforementioned search) yield a multitude of useless answers.
> > > Due to a lack of finger coordination and just because I prefer to
> > > click the middle button than two simultaneously, any help will be
> > > appreciated. Other details, but I don't think they will matter are:
> > >
> > > I am using Sawfish with Gnome. But this shouldn't affect my pointer.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Logan
> > >
> > > P.S. Another note, after using almost every other distro of Linux,
> > > since 1995, I have to quote the movie, "Hellraiser II," in regard to
> > > trying out Debian, for which I had some kind of bizarre, primal fear of
> > > switching to after reading too many articles mentioning how difficult
> > > Debian is to install...which only takes about two hours (combining
> > > download [I think actually took an actual 18 minutes] and reading
> > > dselect for the first time [I read almost all of the packages
> > > available]) with a cable modem...anyway, the quote from the movie, "I
> > > cannot believe I hesitated..." I wasted more time trying to figure out
> > > the above mouse problem than installing!

Thanks Glen and John D.

        Tried your suggestions, with no success. (The pointer just hangs out
at the bottom of the screen with the "PS/2" option.) I guess I will
have to get used to clicking left and right mouse buttons, at the same
time, for pasting. I know this will probably be alleviated if I choose
the "unstable" version Debian for all of my X11 stuff, but I think I
will just play with it like this for a while.

Again, I appreciate everyone's suggestions,

Logan

--
6:45pm up 14:19, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.07
Q: How many Californians does it take to screw in a lightbulb? A: Five.