Re: [SLUG] Linux Only Now

From: John D. (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 18:27:17 EDT

Smitty wrote:

> On Sunday 23 June 2002 15:09, you wrote:
> > >Well,
> >
> > I finally did it.
> >
> > My home network which consists or three CPU's is totally RH Linux.
> >
> > And it feels just fine. I am sure I will have lots of questions to ask
> > as I add software that I need,,, Like the accounting programs that are
> > most like Quicken ( month I think I recall from the list)
>
> Try MyBooks from Appgen Software. This is a basic business application. For
> personal financial management try Gnucash.

GNUCash is surprisingly good-- and flexible, I had an accounting data
tree up in 3-4 hours including accounting table setup, and it DOES
import QIFs with reasonable intelligence for a basic looking non-windows
app so you might be able to export your Quicken to floppy and import in
at least some of your settings and account balances and maybe
transactions (if you maintain account names and expense types right), or
maybe get an export file from your Windows partition if this is possible
still. I liked Quicken and Quickbooks from version 3 onward, so found
GnuCash intuitive. I run it in KDE. Even the graphing is pretty...:)

Mybooks I found intimidating(I was used to Quickbooks and Peachtree as
far as garden-variety accounting apps went) and not capable of parsing
output to my Epson Stylus C80 or the Canon BJC I used to have-- all the
descenders on all form lines disappeared (and was not about to pay
Appgen to customize at thier hourly rate) unless I used ALL CAPS for
entries. Will try again with future versions now that I have an XML
editing solution on my box. IF I can figure out how to make one box both
server and client with that app.